Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Feeling bad about work

I don't need to hand in my notice at work until the 9th January - my contract only requires 1 month. I could in theory tell my employers about the plan early but I don't want to cause any upset, so for now it remains my little secret.

The problem is I'm suddenly getting all this gushing praise from the senior management.

The CEO of my company, based in the US, has just sat me down to talk about 'how things are going'. He told me that there may be some redundancies announced in December but that they hadn't yet made their final decisions.

In the same breath, he told me that I would be 100% safe from those redundancies - that I'm very valuable to them and that I have an extremely bright future with the company. He observed that I seemed rather relaxed so I said, "there are always options", and he threw his arms into the air, crying out, "I know but please don't take them - please, please, stay with us here!".

So I chickened out of telling him.

I couldn't bear to stay working beyond my scheduled date but now I feel like I'm letting people down and, I suppose, missing out on opportunities. Is it possible that they'll actually guilt me into staying!?

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps he has heard about your plans and is trying to influence your decision?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, it's an interesting thought. I'd be surprised if he had heard - the guy's responsible for 200 people, mostly in the US of A, so I wouldn't expect to really feature on his radar.

    One thing's for sure - if they announce redundancies at my level next week I'll be raising my hand. NO-ONE will lose their job if I can save them by quitting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Is it possible that they'll actually guilt me into staying!?"
    Hope not, as I am following this blog with interest and want to hear all about your crazy adventures! ;-)
    Yes, there are opportunities at work but also many more out in the big wide world so I guess you've just got to work out which appeal more... tough decision though. :-/

    ReplyDelete